I have fibromyalgia and part of that is chronic fatigue. The kind where its like you have the flu and can barely move sometimes. I spend most of my days at home doing very little. Watching tv gets old very fast. Sometimes I can not concentrate enough to read a book, even the easy ones. Sitting on anything other than my soft comfortable recliner can induce pain after a couple minutes.
Ever since I discovered crocheting amigurumi, I’ve been excited about something other than my health for the first time in years. It has given me a new interest and outlook on life.
Here are my top 10 reasons I crochet.
- Because I can. Its something I can do while sitting in my chair. It’s easy, relaxing, and doesn’t take much energy.
- Good fine motor skills practice. My hands get cramped up and this helps to keep them flexible.
- Beats fidgeting. Anxiety keeps my fingers moving, picking at things, and this gives them something to do.
- I get to create something. I feel like I’m doing something worthwhile and using my creative brain.
- Mindfulness meditation practice. I have to be in the present or I lose count and have to rip everything apart and start over.
- It keeps my brain active. Crochet patterns are another language, and I have to keep track of where I am. Counting is big.
- I get excited to try new patterns, or look for ideas. Its even better now that I have learned how to make my own patterns too.
- I can do it anywhere and anytime. So much more portable than other crafts like sewing or pottery.
- I have presents to give to people. I love to give things to people and this way I can make it personal like a favourite cartoon character for a nephew.
- Its something to talk about other than my health. When you don’t have energy to go out and live a “normal” life it makes it hard to have a regular conversation with people. The usual questions are how are you, any plans for the weekend, what did you do today/yesterday/last weekend, etc. Now I have answers.
I would love to hear your reasons for doing crochet, or any other craft for that matter. Leave a comment below or email me at email@example.com.